Homework Pros Vs Cons: An Expert's Point Of View
If you want to get a really good discussion going in the classroom all you have to do is talk about homework. There are some very fixed opinions about whether it does any good for anybody. There are two sides to the argument and there are positive and negative elements of home work. Each deserves a little investigation.
- It can broaden the Learning Experience. Everything cannot be covered in 60 minutes of class. A greater understanding of the subject can be developed outside of school, though it depends on the type of assignment given. However, research and investigation required by certain projects will make a student more knowledgeable.
- It Brings on Unnecessary Fatigue. Some teachers feel it is important to challenge the student with a lot of outside work. The problem is that a student has more than one teacher deal with. Too much can result in some very serious burnout. The learning experience is not advanced if the student is physically exhausted.
- This can Develop Teamwork Skills. Sometimes the after class work involves groups coming together to research a topic. It is going to help later on in life. The idea of work teams is a concept that is accepted by both profit and nonprofit organizations. Learning how to deal with others is going to help anyone in future career efforts.
- Poor Homework can actually demotivate a Student. This is a hazard area teachers need to be aware of in developing assignments. Tedious work is going to stifle learning. A student has to be encouraged to be curious and to investigate. If the after-hours work is challenging and stimulating, a student is going to enjoy being in class. Dull and stiff work is going to make anyone wonder why they are bothering with education.
- It can lead to Positive Career Changes. The investigation and detective work required by after class projects exposes a student to possible career paths not contemplated before. The student can quickly develop a liking and interest in the subject matter assigned. This can be even more influential than the actual class work.
As mentioned in the beginning this is an ongoing discussion. There probably will never be a final answer to whether or not homework is best for the student. It has its good qualities and its demerits. The value rests with the teacher and what is assigned after the class bell has rung. It will be absolutely essential that creativity is part of the directions.
Need help with essay? Follow this page: Buy custom essays online to get your essay done by expert essay writer.